We have to admit that we visit Santorini to enjoy the magnificent views and its unique Caldera. But let`s face it, it’s unfair not to meet the real Santorini. It is well known, the views are stunning and breathtaking and nobody will get bored of them. However, the island has so much culture and history to tell, so many places and traditions to discover… As locals, we will immerse you in history of each hidden doorway.
So, we offer “Once upon a time tour” with a hint of something different, a secret in all, made with our great love for our island. We invite you not only to an amazing tour, secret knowledge and unknown sightseeing but also to an unforgettable experience with new friends and memories that you will worship. Santorini holds many secrets from the past, waiting for you to discover them.
A TALE AS OLD AS TIME
After the pickup from your hotel or from a point of your choice, our first stop of our tale starts in “Yiannis Nomikos Estate”. It is the first farm in a constant effort to standardize the agricultural products of the island (fava, tomato, shell peanut, fig, prickly pear, capers, olive oil etc.) From cultivation and processing to packaging and marketing, everything goes through Yiannis Nomikos and having a complete traceability from start to finish.
If you would like to discover a different Santorini or to learn about the island`s food plants from people that love Mother Earth, a visit to Yiannis Nomikos Estate is a must! Our next stop is Tomato industrial factory in Vlychada. It was established in 1945 by George Nomikos. Once, the old factory processed one of the most famous agricultural products, the local cherry tomato and tomato paste. It has been transformed into a modern Industrial Tomato Museum, offering its visitors a journey back to the industrial past of Santorini, by guiding them through the cultivation, processing and production of tomato. See the production line with the old machinery and try the tomato paste that`s made using traditional methods. It’s a journey into the past(e)!
Later on, we move to Canava Santorini. It was established in 1974 by Evangellos Lygnos. Today his son Loukas Lygnos still produces the fine spirits with the same principles and the same local materials. Authentic recipes inherited through generations are still being used. “Despite the fact that our production line meets the highest modern technological criteria, our distillation methods and our stills are traditional.” We shall take a tour through the Canava and their breathtaking museum where you will get in the everyday life of an era by gone. After the tour, we can relax at the traditional cafe where you will taste and enjoy the local Ouzo, Tsipouro & Liqueurs, made only in Santorini.
- Visit Yiannis Nomikos Estate.
- Walk around a volcanic land and learn also about the island’s unique agricultural tradition. Discover and purchase directly from the source, pure Santorini`s products.
- Explore one of the most important Tomato Factory that existed on the island and visit all the spaces which house cultural activities (SAF).
- The building on the property of Canava Santorini offers an interesting little snapshot of life in Santorini during the late 19th century and early 20th century.
- Learn the history of Santorini not only through its agricultural products but also through the local inhabitants and the farmers
- Hotel pick up and drop off from a point of your choice
- Tasting of different products of Santorini: sun-dried Santorini cherry tomatoes, capers or pistachios.
- Tasting of local spirits: Ouzo, Tsipouro, Liqueur.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Fuel surcharge
- Bottle of water
- Map of Santorini
- Admissions and tasting fees
- All taxes
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
As this is a private tour, we are able to customize the itinerary even on the way regarding your interests and wishes. If you are coming from Athens on a day-trip, the tour can offer you a complimentary airport pickup and drop-off service upon request.